Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pumpkin Spice "Latte"

I adore pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks!  But, I'm on a strict budget that doesn't allow me to buy coffee out very often.

I should mention, I also own a Nespresso espresso maker.  My typical morning brew is a single Americano (espresso and water) maybe with a little milk.  But, this isn't NEARLY as tasty as the pumpkin spice latte, and I've found myself lured into skipping it in favor of a trip to the nearest Starbucks.  NOT a good habit to get into, health or finance-wise!

So, I decided to try making one at home, and I think I've gotten close enough to satisfy my craving.  Here's what I did:

Make pumpkin spice.  You can buy this, but it was 10am, and I wasn't about to run to the store, especially considering my spice cabinet has all the components anyway.

1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground allspice

I have no idea if this is the right ratio; I literally just made it up!  Feel free to tweak this to your taste.

Make 1 shot of espresso in an 8oz or larger mug, and add 2 tbsp. sugar, four lumps of sugar, or 2 tbsp. of organic local honey (the sugar is yummier, FWIW, but the honey is healthier if you're going to consume a lot of these! I made one with lumps of sugar and liked it so much I made other with honey, just to see the difference.)

Make the milk - I used almond milk, but whole or 2% milk will work, too!  In a micro safe jar with a lid (lid doesn't have to be micro safe - a jam jar will work.  I used one of the attachments and non-blender lids for my Nutrabullet and it worked like a charm), add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk (enough to top up your espresso shot).  Stir in 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice (resist the urge to add more or you'll need more sugar to keep if from being bitter).   Put the lid on the jar and shake like you're making a cocktail for James Bond.  Remove the lid and microwave for 1 min on high.  Shake again.  Micro for another minute.  Shake again.  Add to the coffee in your mug.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment