Monday, November 3, 2014

Preparing for Baby Part 1 - Healthy Make-ahead Winter Meals

This series will be my plan for making meals in preparation for having a new baby (our first!).

I wanted healthy, near-paleo foods that would stand up well to freezing and re-heating in either the oven or microwave (or freezing and slow-cooking).  I am OK with eating organic dairy and sometimes brown rice, just because we have a giant bag from Costco...but once that's gone I plan to switch to white rice which isn't technically Paleo either, but better than brown.

I also am on a tight budget, since my maternity leave is not paid at 100% of my salary.  Boo.  Here is my plan, plus my grocery list (many staples I have already, so those aren't on the shopping list).

I plan to make each of these for dinner before the baby, and make a double or triple recipe.  Then, I'll freeze the extra in disposable bags and foil trays (to minimize dishes and cleanup when the baby is here).

Spaghetti squash, turkey meatballs, red sauce

Cut a spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and roast, cut side down on a baking tray at 425 for 30-40 minutes.  Allow to cool completely (to allow steam to dissapate so it's not water-logged once it thaws).  Shred with a fork.  Freeze in a thin layer in a larger freezer bag by itself.

Make meatballs - combine .75 lb (half of a 1.25 lb package) with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1 large egg (free range) and form into 1/4 cup size balls (I use a small ice-cream scoop).  Sear in avocado oil, then add water and cover to finish cooking, about 10 minutes.  Allow to drain and cool completely, then freeze in a single layer in a larger freezer bag.

For the red sauce, I plan to use a good quality jarred sauce, so no need to worry about that!

I plan to thaw this meal for a day in the refrigerator, then drain and re-heat the squash by itself in a saute pan with a little avocado oil until it begins to brown.  I'll heat the meatballs in a separate sauce pan along with the jarred sauce until simmering, then serve over the squash with a little parmesan cheese, if we have it on hand.


Baked Potatoes with Chili, Cheddar & Broccoli

Bake potatoes - scrub well and prick with a fork.  Coat in avocado oil and cook on a tray at 425 for 45-60 minutes until soft when pierced to the center with a knife.

Steam broccoli.  This can be done however you please; either in a shallow, lidded, micro safe bowl in the microwave (on high about 5 minutes, but watch it because time depends on size of pieces), or in a steamer on the stove, or in a pan on the stove with water in the bottom and a lid.  Undercook the broccoli slightly, and rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking.  Allow to drain well before freezing in a single layer.

I plan to freeze the potatoes whole, and thaw them before re-heating.  I'll slice them open, drizzle on a little avocado oil, and re-heat them in a 425 deg F oven for 20 minutes or so so the skin crisps a bit. 

I'll freeze the steamed broccoli separately and re-heat it in the micro. 

I'll use a can of good, organic chili and pre-shredded cheddar for the toppings (and plain Greek yogurt if it's on hand)

Spaghetti Squash & cheese sauce with ham & broccoli

I looooove mac and cheese with ham and broccoli (or red hot link sausage - so unhealthy!), so I'm adding this dish which substitutes spaghetti squash for the macaroni.  I'll freeze the sauce separately in a freezer bag, and freeze the squash the same as for the first recipe above.

Cook squash the same as for the meatball & red sauce recipe above.

Steam a large head of broccoli and allow the steam to evaporate.  Chop up a ham steak (maybe you can find one without lots of bad nitrates in it?).

Make the sauce - melt 4 tbsp of grass-fed organic butter in a saucepan.  Whisk in 4 tbsp of cornstarch (yeah, I know, not Paleo.  If you're picky, use arrowroot or tapioca flour instead).  Slowly whisk in 2 cups of hot, organic whole milk.  Simmer until slightly thickened, then add 1 cup of shredded cheddar.  Stir until melted.

Add in the broccoli and ham.  Allow to cool so it won't melt anything, then pour into a large freezer bag.  Freeze level so it will thaw more quickly.

I plan to thaw th e squash and sauce before re-heating.  I'll drain and re-heat the squash in a saute pan in some oil, and the sauce in a separate pan until it simmers, then combine in bowls to serve.

Here's my shopping list for round 1:

4 Spaghetti Squash (2 for meals, 2 for the freezer)
6 baking potatoes (2 for meals, 2 for the freezer)
1 package ground turkey
shredded parmesan
shredded cheddar
2 jars red sauce (one for now, one for later)
4 heads broccoli (two for meals, two for the freezer)
2 ham steaks (one for now, one for later)
2 cans organic chili con carne (one for now, one for later)

On Hand
organic, whole milk
grass fed butter
free range eggs
cornstarch
avocado oil
salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment